Chief Development Officer
Kids Kicking Cancer is an evidence-based innovative program that merges modern integrative medicine with traditional martial arts. Specially trained black belt martial artists teach breathing, visualization, and relaxation techniques, in addition to traditional martial arts moves, to help empower the children and provide them with a sense of power, peace, and purpose. Our Heroes Circle program allows very sick children with all types of illnesses to be in the center of a circle that inspires and teaches the world, how to “breathe in the light and blow out the darkness.” The Heroes Circle is now functioning in 90 facilities in 7 countries. Our goal is to lower the pain of one million children by 2025.
Kids Kicking Cancer (KKC) is looking to hire a Chief Development Officer to help build and lead our advancement and fundraising efforts. The organization has just launched its first major comprehensive campaign, with a goal of raising 35 million dollars and this person will play a key role growing Kids Kicking Cancer and the Heroes Circle to impact more than one million children in the next five years.
The Chief Development Officer will work closely with KKC’s founder to engage current and potential donors in new ways. We are looking for a dynamic leader who has had experience closing major gifts, managing fundraising campaigns and building a development department. This person should have a depth of knowledge about the non-profit space and ideally has experience and is passionate about working with organizations in the medical, cancer, or global health care spaces.
KKC is in a growth stage and this person will hold the responsibility of helping strengthen and grow the role and department including planning and implementing a comprehensive fundraising program. Additionally, it is important that this person can work well in a flexible, fast-paced environment as we build out our digital marketing programs and work to grow our program in new markets and verticals.
- Campaign Leadership – Lead and manage $35 million campaign, working closely with organization’s campaign consultants.
- Major Gifts – Implement a major gifts strategy by identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors to achieve fundraising goals. Work with CEO on cultivation and solicitation strategies and manage a portfolio of major gift prospects.
- Donor and Relationship Management – Inspire new donors and grow regional, national, and global donor relationships to advance the organization’s philanthropic mission.
- Stewardship – Create a strong donor stewardship program.
- Budget – Establish overall development department budget and specific financial targets including taking responsibility for delivering results.
- Fundraising Events – Build and manage calendar of annual fundraising activities: leading planning of fundraising events, annual giving, special appeals (online/direct mail), donor recognition programs, and other fundraising activities as needed to achieve budgeted goals.
- Volunteer Engagement – Work in partnership with the Board of Directors, Development Committee, and other key volunteers to maximize involvement and achieve set goals, including recruiting campaign volunteers.
- Communications – Work with Marketing Team to assist in creating and implementing a strong plan for increasing KKC awareness on a global level. Responsible for external communications and public relations.
- Build internal team – Supervise and manage current Development team which includes: Director of Philanthropic Services, and Director of National Philanthropy (Grants), and a Grants/Research Coordinator.
- Ten years minimum of increasing experience and responsibility in a development or advancement department
- Experience should include oversight, major gift solicitations and campaigns, board, and leadership development, should have experience closing six to seven figure gifts.
- Successful senior leadership experience with a nonprofit organization achieving fundraising goals. Experience in the health services, illness-based, or related industries a plus.
- Experience as a frontline fundraiser and high comfort level in personally cultivating, soliciting, and securing major gifts.
- Proven track record in developing and sustaining strong relationships with donors, the Board of Directors, and leadership groups.
- Able to prioritize, ask for help when needed, and communicate effectively when challenging situations arise.
- Excellent writing skills are required.
- Proven financial acumen including budget development/management, financial benchmarking/tracking, and reporting as required.
- Must possess strong technical capabilities: Microsoft 365 and CRM systems. Salesforce experience preferred.
To Apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Chief Development Officer – or apply below.